Cowell’s has spent four consecutive years on the Beach Bummer list (the dirtiest beach list in California), claiming the No. 2 most polluted spot for the second year in a row in 2013, and in 2010 Cowell’s was named THE dirtiest beach in the entire State of California.
Nobody should get sick from surfing or spending a day at the beach. Surfrider’s goal is to get Cowell’s beach off the dirtiest beach list (beach bummer list), and get it back to being a healthy beach for residents and tourists alike to enjoy.
1. Get Cowell’s off the dirtiest beach list.
2. Get needles off Cowell’s and Main beach.
3. Get rid of curfew at Cowell’s beach.
Ways to Help
- Join our BWTF and help insure that Cowell’s and Main Beach are tested for water quality.
- Attend public safety committee hearings and ask what is being done to get Cowell’s off the Dirtiest Beaches List
- Contact the Public Safety Committee and ask David Terrazas what measures they are taking to get Cowell’s off the dirtiest beach list. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fill out a surfer illness form to document getting sick from surfing.
- Take photos to document pollution and needles at Cowell’s and Main Beach. Post them on our facebook page and let everyone know on twitter with @surfridersc and #CleanUpCowells
- Tell your friends and family about Cowell’s being one of the dirtiest beaches in California for almost half a decade. Let local business nearby know that you are afraid that you may get sick from spending a day at Cowell’s Beach. Most people don’t realize that Cowell’s beach is dirtier than the Tijuana Rivermouth.
- Volunteer with Surfrider!
- Donate to Surfrider – $20 Pays for two water tests to make sure a day at the beach is healthy & safe
2013 Beach Bummer List
- Avalon Harbor Beach on Catalina Island (L.A. County)
- Cowell Beach – at the wharf (Santa Cruz County)
- Poche Beach (Orange County)
- Cabrillo Beach harborside (Los Angeles County)
- Malibu Pier (L.A. County)
- Marina Lagoon (San Mateo County)
- Doheny State Beach (Orange County)
- Redondo Beach Pier (Los Angeles County)
- Windsurfer Circle at Candlestick Point (San Francisco County)
- Tijuana River Mouth (San Diego County)